Do you have missing teeth and are concerned about not only your smile but also your dental health? Despite vast improvements in dental care, many still suffer from tooth loss, usually from tooth decay, periodontal disease, or injury. Losing a tooth has a huge impact on our self-confidence and desire to share a smile.
For many years, the only treatment options available for people with missing teeth were bridges and dentures. But today, dental implants are also an option. They are designed to match your existing teeth and are safe, comfortable, and attractive.
Regardless of the type of tooth replacement, the cost is usually the main factor. Questions like “How much will it cost?” and “Is it covered by insurance?” are very common in our office. At your no-cost consultation, we will discuss tooth replacement treatments as well as financing and payment options.
Each Tooth Has a Job
You can ask any of our dentists and they will tell you that every tooth in your mouth has an important job. Your teeth come in a set for a reason, with every tooth relying on every other tooth to do its job. Your jawbone is designed to support a mouthful of healthy teeth. So missing or damaged teeth can erode the underlying bone structure in your jaw that may cause problems later in life.
When you have a missing tooth it can cause your healthy teeth to shift out of place. A missing tooth can also:
- Cause bone shrinkage in the area
- Affect how you chew
- Affect your smile
There are a number of benefits to dental implants over other tooth replacement procedures. They support your existing teeth and help keep them from getting loose. They also allow you to enjoy your favorite meals without any discomfort. They function just like your original teeth.
Advantages of a Dental Implant
There are many advantages to getting dental implants, including:
- More Self Confidence: Nearly 18% of people hide their teeth in photos and missing teeth is a big reason why. A survey from the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry indicates that as many as 74% of Americans think an unattractive smile can have negative effects professionally.
- Convenience: Dentures have benefited scores of people, but they’re not without their troubles, including the cost. Dental implants eliminate the annoyances of dentures and are very durable, often lasting a lifetime.
- Looking good: Dental implants are made to look and feel like natural teeth and because they eventually fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Comfort: Rather than having to deal with sliding dentures while trying to eat, people can feel at ease with implants because they are stabilized and make it easier to enjoy the foods they love.
- Success: The dental implant needs of individuals vary, but in general the success rate of implants is very high (98%).
While there are many benefits of dental implants, paying for them can be an issue in and of itself. Generally, dental implants aren’t covered by dental insurance. So it’s important to check with your insurance provider before going ahead with the procedure.
Dental implants can be very beneficial and compare favorably cost-wise versus the cost of dentures. But if you’re paying for them out of your own pocket, it definitely helps to find the best option for what you can afford.
Keep in mind that dental implant prices can also depend on the location of the missing tooth, the number of teeth being replaced, and the amount of quality bone in the implant area.
If you have concerns about a missing tooth, please contact Afdent to schedule a no-cost appointment. We will get you smiling again!